Monday, June 10, 2013

A Deeper Understanding of the Call to Modesty


Image courtesy of [tungphoto] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
About six months ago, the Lord started revealing to me the importance of dressing more modestly. I shared in another post about how the idea of modesty wasn't something I was brought up with, but rather, something I began to learn about more recently in my adult life.

I often think that learning about something new is kind of like peeling an onion. Your knowledge and understanding of a topic grows incrementally, as if the layers of the onion are being peeled back to reveal something new or give you a deeper understanding of a topic. For me, learning about modesty has been exactly like that.

When I started dressing more modestly, I felt the Lord leading me to a skirts-only wardrobe. He showed me that certain kinds of skirts promote modesty over pants or shorts. He has used skirts as a physical reminder in my day to day living of my God-given femininity and my biblical role as a wife and mom. I truly feel that for me, full-time skirt wearing is a call at this point in my life.

At the same time, I'm realizing that while everyone is called to modesty, not everyone is called to a skirts-only lifestyle. I've noticed is that there are some really godly, wonderful women that I know who don't wear skirts all the time. They do make a point to dress modestly, but they don't have the same conviction as I do to wear skirts all of the time.

I'm learning that that is okay. Maybe that seems silly or obvious to some of you. But maybe, for some who like me, and are new to the idea of dressing modestly, this post has peeled back another layer of the onion for you as well.

Each Christian woman will be called to modesty in different ways. Some to skirts-only. Some to modest pants. Some perhaps have yet to consider the issue of modesty. That was me six months ago. I believe that if these women continue to seek the Lord, He will reveal to them the path they should take in this area, just as He did for me. Our job is to be obedient to that calling, whether that be skirts-only or not.

Those of us who feel convicted to wear skirts-only need to protect our hearts from becoming proud. We are not better because we wear skirts. We are not necessarily even more modest. As Christian women, we must put aside comparison (a trap of the devil) and instead spur one another along in whatever God has called us each to do. When we do this, I believe it is a sweet sacrifice unto a holy God.

No comments:

Post a Comment