Tuesday, December 10, 2013

5 Reasons I started wearing skirts



We're coming up on my 1 year anniversary of full-time skirt wearing! As I hit this milestone, I'm also looking forward to another--weaning my youngest from nursing and getting to purchase and wear some dresses rather than skirts! But this year I've worn skirts in 110 degree weather, and in 10 degree weather. They've kept me cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. Overall, it's been a great year of skirt wearing, so I thought it an opportune time to do a post on the top 5 reasons to start wearing skirts.

1. Skirts are prettier than pants. Before my stint into the skirt-wearing world, all I wore was tank tops, waffle knit long sleeve pull-overs and boot leg jeans left over from high school. When I decided to start wearing more skirts, I went to the thrift store and picked up several different styles. Skirts are SO much more interesting and beautiful compared to pants! Typically women look good in one style of cut of jeans. Maybe they look good in boot leg or skinny jeans, or boyfriend jeans (whatever those are). But skirts come in all kinds of lengths and cuts, prints and fabrics and styles. I have (and love to wear) jean skirts, but I also have pretty striped skirts with floral embroidery, khaki skirts, plaid skirts, skirts with pockets...you get the picture.

2. Skirts are more comfortable than pants. If you are like I was, you may be doubting this claim a bit, but I encourage you to try a skirt for a week or so and just see. I've been married since 2002. I can truthfully say, I literally never wore a skirt or dress for the first 10 years of my marriage. And before that, after I left the obligatory uniform skirt of elementary school, I can count the number of times I wore a skirt or dress on one hand. I really never thought skirts were comfortable. But once I tried them, I realized that they are SO comfortable. In the summer, they are airy and light, and in the winter, they are perfect for wearing over leggings to keep yourself warm, but still feeling feminine. And truly, there isn't much that most people normally do that you can't do in a skirt. I've been to the fair in a skirt, I've gone hiking in a skirt, I've gone to the park in a skirt, played on the living room floor with my babies in a skirt, and much more.

3. Skirts will make you feel more beautiful than pants. I have found this to be really, really true. We recently purchased a piece of 13 acre undeveloped land to build our dream home on, and it was head-high in brush and sticker weeds when we drove down to see it. Clearly a situation where a skirt probably wasn't going to cut it. So I pulled on a pair of boots and jeans and we hiked around our land for a bit. I'll tell you, I felt so big and bulky in those jeans! I felt like a man! There was no swish of fabric as I walked. All my undesirable curves were accentuated. There was no feminine touch to the outfit. Conversely, when I put on a pretty skirt, I feel more graceful, more feminine and more beautiful than I have ever felt in pants.

4. Others will see you differently when you wear the right kinds of skirts. Okay. We all know that you shouldn't judge a book by its' cover. But the truth is, people do. Wearing a modest and tasteful skirt in our society is actually rather uncommon, and it's something that people do notice. It's my experience that people perceive me differently than they did when I mostly wore t-shirts and yoga pants. People seem to perceive my parenting differently, they tend to show me more respect, and they assume a certain value system when they meet me. Inside, I haven't really changed my thinking, but the way I am perceived now has made the values I hold on the inside more apparent to people looking in from the outside.

It's very easy to get into the habit of throwing on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt every day. It's a little harder to get into a style rut when you are consistently wearing skirts. When you put on a skirt, you tend to make a point of finishing the whole outfit and actually styling your hair, rather than throwing it in a messy bun on your head. Somehow, a skirt (or dress) makes you try harder, and because of that, I think people do notice the effort and it says to them that you respect yourself, and that they should respect you also.

5. The right kind of skirt (or dress) is more modest than pants. I say "the right kind" of skirt because of course mini skirts aren't really modest, and maybe a skirt with 'juicy' emblazoned on the back isn't modest. But a tasteful, feminine skirt is more modest than pants. The hem of the skirt serves as a boundary line for the eyes; effectively stopping the eyes from traveling up the length of your body. The body of the right kind of skirt is loose enough to provide coverage for your curves.

Truly, I don't think I'll ever go back to full-time pants. What do you think? Why do you wear skirts or pants?

No comments:

Post a Comment